IMPORTANT DATES & UPCOMING DEADLINES:
(See detailed information for each item below.)
- Long course practices start April 16.
- Deadline to indicate availability for GAAC Mayflower Meet is April 16.
- Deadline to order CBST apparel from Kampus Klothes is April 22.
- Parent meeting (tentative) April 30.
Long course 2018 afternoon/evening practices begin on Monday, April 16th. Morning practices for the senior group begin on Monday, April 23rd.
Please check the calendar on the team website for the times of your swimmer's practice group. http://www.cbswimteam.org It is a good habit to check the calendar daily for any changes.
Long Course Equipment List: Please make sure that your swimmer has the equipment that they need for Long Course. If you are unsure what your swimmer needs, please see the equipment list on the team website (CBST Resources: General Team Information).
COMMUNICATIONS / MEETINGS:
Please tentatively mark your calendar for a parent meeting on April 30th at 5:45 p.m. We will provide further details when confirmed.
Long Course Goals Sheet: Attached to this email is a goals sheet. Please have your swimmer complete the sheet as soon as possible and return to one of the coaches.
If you'd like to add/change an email on this distribution list please let me know via email.
As we typically get questions about advancement and other general topics at this time of year, please also see the team website (CBST Resources: General Team Information) for much valuable information including Advancement Philosophy, Swimming 101, Long Course Basics, Updated Q&A documents, etc.
Also, review the important policy information at the end of this message.
Congratulations to all the swimmers on their accomplishments during the short course championship season meets. They did a fantastic job and CBST was very successful. Also, thanks so much to all our CBST volunteers who helped at the meets. It is truly appreciated - these meets could not run smoothly without your help!
CBST Long Course Meets
Regrettably, we did not get enough entries collectively from other teams to run a May meet that would be a good experience for the swimmers, therefore, the CBST Mayhem meet (May 19-20) has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled. In lieu of CBST's Mayhem meet, the coaches would like to attend the GAAC Mayflower Meet, which is being held on the same weekend (May 19-20). Meet Availability for the GAAC Mayflower Meet is currently in your portal. Please indicate your swimmer's Availability in the portal no later than Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:59 pm. If you have any questions about this meet, the link to the meet sheet can be found on our website under the "Meets" tab. When indicating Availability, please be sure to utilize the "Comments" section for events that you prefer your swimmer to be entered into or any information that is important for the coaches to know as they are selecting events for your swimmer. Refer to previously circulated guidance for additional meet entry procedural information. If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Julie Kline at email@example.com.
Please note that our entries for the LANY Summer Storm and NLAC Swimfest were accepted by the hosts.
We will provide an update on the Jersey Wahoos meet when we have more information.
NLAC Swimfest Hotel Information
CBST has reserved a block of rooms, for our families, from the preferred NLAC Swimfest hotel list. The information is listed below. When making your reservation at the Hampton Inn & Suites State College, please call 814-231-1899 and give the group code CBS.
If you have any questions, our contact at the hotel is Jeff Deitrich at 814-278-7536 or you can contact Julie Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hampton Inn and Suites State College
1955 Waddle Road
State College, PA 16803
- Coaches will do entries for meets CBST is attending as a team and families should not contact the meet directors for any reason. This causes the potential for problems with entries for your swimmers and other swimmers on our team, and often damages our team’s relationship with the meet host, jeopardizing our future ability to get into their meets.
- Please see the attached document regarding seed times. This is important for all swimmers, especially swimmers new to CBST who have swum with another USAS team. Please be sure to read it in full as your action may be needed.
- CBST coaches/staff cannot do entries or contact meet directors for any meet CBST is not attending as a team. If you would like to register for a meet CBST is not attending as a team please follow the directions in the related meet information which will generally be to use TM Lite.
- If you are registering your swimmer for a meet using TM Lite, remember that USA Swimming requires all swimmers to be registered with their full legal name and, thus, that is how CBST has registered them per the information you provided during registration with the team. This means first name, middle initial, last name per birth certificate or subsequent legal name change document. Be sure to include this correct and complete information when entering any meets on your own. (Specifically, when adding your athlete in TM Lite include first name, middle initial, last name, birth date, sex, and then click "build ID.") If you do not, you will have to deal with issues (either on the front end during the registration process or on the back end with getting the times).
CBST LONG COURSE APPAREL SALE:
CBST is holding a Long Course Apparel sale via Kampus Klothes. Please utilize the link below if you are interested in purchasing apparel during this sale. The sale will be open through Sunday, April 22, 2018 and it will be the only opportunity to purchase CBST apparel via this vendor for the Long Course season. Payment for apparel items will be handled directly through the Kampus Klothes website and delivery information for apparel items will be communicated at a later date. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Kline at email@example.com.
April bills have been emailed. Remember to get payments in by the 25th to avoid interruption to your swimmer’s participation and late fees.
Please recall that CBST bills are emailed during the first week of each month and the 25th is the due date for your bill – please remit payment so that it will be received by that date.
- Late fees apply to payments received after the deadline.
- Billing information is not available through the portal and bills can only be sent to one email address. (If you want to change your billing email please let me know.)
- Billing guidance is attached. If you have questions about your bill after reviewing it and reading the attached guidance, or do not receive it during the first week of any month, please email Jen Steinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment must be by check (or money order) payable to CBCS.
- Payments may be dropped in the box at CB South (during practice hours) or mailed/hand delivered to the Community School Office at the address below. The drop box at CB South is inside a school building so is not accessible during school hours (you should only access this box during our practice times). If you need to drop off a payment at the Community School office when the office is closed, please seal your payment tightly in a plastic bag and place it in one of the drop boxes attached to the outside of that building.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
Please review CBST policies and procedures with your swimmers often. (Please note that the inclusion of this reminder periodically in our team communications is not an indication that an issue has arisen - we simply provide periodic reminders to prevent issues from occurring.)
- The doors close to the pool at CB South will generally be open and may be used to enter/exit the building. If they are not open, please enter through the main Gymnasium doors. No doors should be propped open at any time.
- Please enter the pool hallway off Anderson Road to access the CB East pool at all times. Do not use the front doors.
- Please do not park your car (whether you’re in it or not) anywhere other than designated parking spaces. This is particularly an issue at CB South at the diving well door where people sometimes park along the curb behind the parked cars – please avoid fender benders by NOT parking in that area.
- Swimmers should enter the pool deck upon their arrival (no sooner than 10 minutes prior to the start of practice) and wait on the benches for a coach to start practice. They will be sent directly to the locker rooms after practice. Parents should always walk their swimmers into the building.
- Parents/siblings should go straight to the balcony. Please do not go on deck to speak with the coaches. If you have a question for the coaching staff, please email the appropriate coach for your child (Coach Stu for senior group or Coach Matt Scanlan for age group). (Emails available on team website.) If you have any concerns please email me immediately.
- The use of cell phones and other mobile devices with recording capabilities, including voice recording, still cameras and video cameras is prohibited in locker rooms, changing areas, rest rooms or other changing areas. If your swimmer(s) uses his/her cell phone in the locker room for ANY reason (making phone calls, taking pictures, etc.) he/she risks being removed from the team. (Parents please periodically monitor you child’s social media to ensure compliance with this policy.) Also remind your children to always use social media responsibly – taking care to be kind to everyone and remembering that those other than their currently intended audience may eventually see posts.
- Parents are not allowed in the locker rooms for any reason. High school students may be using the locker rooms related to high school activities. It is important that adults (including parents) not be in the locker room for the safety of all swim program participants and other student athletes. Coaches will be sweeping the locker rooms before, in between, and after practices. Nothing should be left in the locker rooms. Athletes should place all belongings into their bags, zip the bag fully shut, and bring it out onto deck and leave it there for the duration of practice. Please speak with your swimmers/divers about appropriate locker room behavior:
- No horseplay or physical contact should occur.
- Lockers are not to be used at any time as they lock and you will not be able to retrieve any items placed into them.
- Speak at a reasonable volume and speak respectfully to everyone.
- Do not touch anyone else or anyone else’s possessions.
- Move with care (remember swimmers and the floor are wet).
- Locker room time should be short (10-15 minutes at the most) - children may need to be reminded often to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Get a coach if anything inappropriate is occurring, even if they are not involved – tell them they should help stop issues before they escalate, rather than waiting for problems to happen and seeing our friends unhappy based on the consequences.
- Remind your participants often of these behavior expectations which are required at all times – on the deck and in the locker rooms.
- If you prefer that your child not use the locker rooms with the other swimmers please have him/her dry off completely and meet you in the hallway outside of the pool before escorting him/her to the appropriate bathrooms located down the hall from the pool in each building.
- Parents should not coach their children from the balcony (or otherwise). We are in one of the few youth sports that provides professional coaching – please trust that the coaches are competent and leave the coaching to them. If your child looks to you for approval/attention/anything during practices, it is likely to cause them to miss important instructional information and/or disrupt the practice for themselves, other participants, and coaches. If this is an issue for your swimmer please do not remain in the balcony during practices.
- Videotaping of practices is prohibited.
- Please make sure your swimmers are dry and have shoes on when in the hallways of the schools. Please remember that behavior should mimic typical school day behavior. No running, climbing on tables, etc. Playing with balls in the building is prohibited. Siblings of team members must stay with their parents at all times and should not enter the locker rooms. No children should be running or roaming the halls at any time. Swimmers and their families are to be in the pool area (balcony or pool hallways) and should only go to the cafeteria area to use the restrooms or vending machines. Swimmers and their families are not to be in the gymnasiums at any time.
- Please review detailed and additional policies available at this link: http://cbsd.schoolwires.net//site/Default.aspx?PageID=2474