This email will provide all the information that you need to navigate the CBST‑USAS meet entry process. We are aware that the information included in this message is lengthy and can be overwhelming but please be sure to read the email, the attached documents, and the information in your portal. If you still have questions after going through the provided information, please contact heather Yim at email@example.com.
Being involved during this meet entry process is extremely important. CBST‑USAS has put this process into place to ensure that your swimmer(s) is able to participate in the most appropriate events for him/her. In many cases, turn-around times are quick, due to the timing of information being made available and the deadline of the meet hosts, so be sure to keep your eye on the portal daily and make note of any emailed deadlines.
The first deadline coming up is to indicate availability for three meets by Monday, September 17, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Because the upcoming deadline for meet availability is early next week and our Parent's meeting is tonight, the meeting may seem like a good opportunity to ask both CB Aquatics administrators and CBST-USAS coaches specific questions relating to your swimmer’s portal and meet entries, but there will likely not be time. The coaches have a great deal of information to cover relating to the upcoming season and once the meeting is finished they will be focusing on getting back to the pool deck to coach. We encourage all families with questions relating to the upcoming meet availability deadlines to contact Heather Yim (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible so that there is ample time to address any issues.
Below is a list outlining several meets that CBST-USAS will attend during this season with related deadlines. The complete list of meets CBST-USAS will attend this season may be found in the “Meets” section of the team website.
The meet entry process action items for CBST-USAS swim families are as follow for each meet (unless there is specific timing and/or procedure that a meet host requires, in which case those steps/directions will be communicated separately):
- Indicate availability and any entry requests/preferences in your portal by deadline
- Coaches will select entries for swimmers
- Coaches will submit entries to the meet host prior to their meet entry deadline
- Final entries will be communicated to swimmer(s) and uploaded to the "Meets" page (NOT the portal) once meet host accepts the entries
Meet Entry Email Contacts:
- Heather Yim – email@example.com
- Stu Kukla – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matt Scanlan (Age-Group) – email@example.com
Important items to note:
- Before indicating availability you should review the meets sheets (available in the portal – “more info” for each meet) for meet details such as events, timing, location, event limit, qualifying times (if applicable).
- Meets are put into the portal according to when entries must be submitted, rather than according to when the meets occur, thus, not all meets will be in the portal at once, and meets occurring later may be in the portal before meets occurring sooner.
- Families are asked to “Indicate Their Availability” for each swimmer for each meet which lets the coaches know whether or not the swimmer is available and interested in participating in the particular meet.
- A Comments section is included for each meet so you have the opportunity to let the coaches know which events you prefer to swim or prefer not to swim.
- Understand that the coaches read your comments as they prepare the entry file which is likely just before the entries are due to the host because we try to give families as much time to make availability indications as possible. So, this is not a place to have a conversation or ask questions. If you have questions for the coach, ask them ahead of time (prior to indicating availability).
- Be brief – the coaches trust that if you can’t come to a meet you have a reason – you don’t need to provide a list of your schedule for the weekend or other extraneous details. Just provide the information the coaches need to select your entries.
- Do not assume that the coaches know what you want to swim. The coaches request that if you have events you’d like to swim (or not swim) that you use the comments box to communicate that information, helping to ensure swimmers are happy with their entries.
- If information is not included in the comments box but you have indicated that your swimmer is available, coaches will choose events for your swimmer(s).
- Remember that you have at most three swimmers for whom you need to manage entries and the coaches have roughly 120 athletes so you are far more likely to be aware of and retain the pertinent details for your swimmer(s) than they are so please use the comments box.
- NEW MEMBERS: It is imperative that you use the comments box to indicate the events in which you are interested since the coaches don’t know you well yet.
- Please see the attached document regarding seed times. This is important for all swimmers, especially swimmers that are new to CBST-USAS that have swum with another USAS team.
- The events for your swimmer’s age are listed on the availability screen for your reference only. Use this events list (in conjunction with the meet information flyer) to know what events are in which sessions/days of the meet and to indicate preferences/requests in the comments box. Please remember that many meets have event limits (by day, session, and/or meet) so be aware of that when making requests.
- Please indicate your availability as soon as possible so that if you have any questions we will be able to help you. It is important that you indicate your availability by the deadline to ensure your swimmer does not get locked out of a meet that s/he wants to attend.
- Please note that it is the parent's responsibility to be sure that the swimmer(s) is actually available to participate in a meet and indicates the appropriate availability in the portal. Make sure you have done all that by the deadline, as payment will be required for all events the coaches have entered. Please check email daily to be sure you don't miss any important information or deadlines related to meet entries.
- It’s always a good idea to double check your availability indications just before the deadline to ensure they are as you’d like.
- Once the availability deadline passes, the coaches will select entries for swimmers based information provided in the portal - days marked as available and comments section, as well as events the swimmer qualifies for (time standard meets only).
- Occasionally, parents or swimmers have a discussion with the coaches related to meet entries. After such discussion, the parent/swimmer must update portal (prior to the availability deadline) or email the coach AND Heather Yim with the entry details.
- Please remember: for every meet, all communications about entries must be via the portal with any updates emailed to Heather Yim and Stu Kukla. If you need to have a conversation with a coach about entries, you must either modify your portal comments (preferable) or follow it up with an email to Heather AND Stu confirming the specifics of the conversation prior to the deadline for entry availability. Do not rely on the coach to remember. All charges for entries will be based only on documented portal and email communications.
- Once the entries are selected, the coaches will email the final entry file to the host team and parents will be responsible to pay for all entries selected for their swimmers.
- Please be aware that sometimes the popularity of a particular meet and the meet host timelines require deadlines to occur very quickly in order for our team to be accepted into a meet.
- Note that the final entries will not be re-uploaded to the portal or posted on the "Meets" page until they have been submitted and accepted by the host team. In most cases the entries will NEVER be uploaded to the portal but will be on the meets page of the website for your reference once accepted by the host.
- Again, based on your availability indications as described above, the coaches will enter your swimmer into events and you will be obligated to pay for those entries even if they are not the events you wanted or if your swimmer doesn’t attend the meet. So, please be sure to thoughtfully consider the availability information (including comments) that you provide for each meet and be sure all of your information is communicated via portal/email (not verbally) prior to the availability deadline. You will not have an opportunity to review entries or make changes.
The full 2018-19 Short Course meet schedule is posted on the CBST website on the "Meets" page. Listed below are the current meets in the portal. The deadline to indicate your swimmer’s availability for these meets is Monday, September 17, 2018 at 11:59 pm.
- CBST Autumn Festival
- JW Thanksgiving Celebration
- Golden Ram Aquatics B Max
- GAAC Artic Blast
Coaches will do entries for meets CBST-USAS is attending as a team and families should not contact meet directors. Conversely, CBST-USAS coaches/staff will not do entries/contact meet directors for any meet CBST-USAS is not attending as a team. Our coaches have a schedule that will provide adequate competition opportunities, however, if your swimmer plans to participate in a meet we are not attending as a team, please use TM Lite to complete the entries. In that case, swimmers should notify the CBST-USAS coaches after the meet so times can be updated in the CBST-USAS database. If you are registering your swimmer for a meet using TM Lite, remember that USA Swimming requires all swimmers to be registered with their full legal name and, thus, that is how CBST-USAS has registered them per the information you provided during registration with the team. This means first name, middle initial, last name per birth certificate or subsequent legal name change document. Be sure to include this correct and complete information when entering any meets on your own. (Specifically, when adding your athlete in TM Lite include first name, middle initial, last name, birth date, sex, and then click "build ID.") TM Lite information is on the “Meet Information” page of our website.
If you have additional questions or need more information regarding our process, please read the attached “Meet Entries 101” document. Please also log into your portal to familiarize yourself with utilizing this tool.
Thank you for your help as we work through the entry process. As you can surely tell, it is a very time sensitive process that can be tricky, and we truly appreciate your assistance and recognition of the fact that everyone is doing the best possible job for our swimmers.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact Heather Yim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks so much for your help with this important process.