Please know that we are aware that this message is long and not fun to read but we’ve learned the hard way that sharing less information or not providing you with certain explanations produces bad results for you and/or your swimmers. Please read this information (including the attachment - see bottom of this post for attachment) fully and follow all instructions precisely, observing all deadlines throughout the season. Thanks very much.
In order to have the best chance of getting into long course meets, we need to start the meet entry process now. We’ve tried to keep this message as short as possible and have additional explanations attached.
It’s time to indicate availability for one long course meet.
- Instructions on how to do that are below.
- Sign-up by the deadline with entry comments.
- Based on your availability indications, the coaches will enter your swimmer into events and you will be obligated to pay for those entries even if they are not the events you wanted or if your swimmer doesn’t attend the meet.
- You will not have an opportunity to review entries or make changes.
- Be sure to put in entry comments about which events you want/don’t want, number of events per day or session, etc. If you don’t put in the entry comments, the coaches won’t know.
- Once entries are accepted by the host, they will be posted on our website under the "Meets" tab for your reference. Be sure to review and share with your swimmer so that he/she is prepared for each meet.
- See the meet schedule below and note, the coaches are hoping to get into each of these meets.
At this time you need to go into your portal to indicate your availability for one long course meet. The deadline to do this for the meets indicated below is Monday, February 25 at 11:58 p.m.
- It is important that you indicate your availability by the deadline to ensure your swimmer does not get locked out of the meet.
- The availability screen is in the US Meets tab of your portal.
- Scroll down to the long course meets currently available:
NLAC - Swimfest at Penn State (June 21-23, 2019)
Click on the name of the venue for venue address and other information.
- Note the deadline to indicate availability for this meet is Monday, February 25 at 11:58 p.m.
- Click on your swimmer’s name to indicate availability.
- You may indicate availability for all days (click box for each day), for some days (click just the boxes for the days you are available), or that you are not attending at all (click box for not attending). You may also indicate any specifics about events or details about attendance in the comments box. NEW MEMBERS: It is imperative that you use the comments box to indicate the events in which you are interested since the coaches don’t know you yet.
- Once you are done, click “complete.”
- Please note where the events for your swimmer’s age are listed on the availability screen are for your reference – you CANNOT click to select the events. You can just indicate availability as described above. Use this events list (in conjunction with the meet information flyer) to know what events are in which sessions/days of the meet and to indicate preferences/requests in the comments box.
- With regard to meets for which the events listing is not yet available feel free to note in general which events your swimmer prefers to swim/not swim, etc.
- It is possible that coaches will submit event(s) for a swimmer even if the parent/swimmer does not request the event. For varying reasons coaches will make this decision, i.e, the swimmer would benefit from trying a new event, the swimmer(s) time is very close to a championship meet qualifying time, etc.
- Please do not wait until the last minute to navigate the portal and indicate availability. Allow enough time so that if you or your swimmer have any questions regarding the Long Course meets or the portal, the CBST staff will have ample time to address them prior to the above deadline. If you have additional questions regarding the Long Course meet entry process, email Heather Yim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting the team into the few long course meets available is a fast and furious process that typically occurs before we return to the water in mid-April. The objective of this process is to get our team's long course meet entries completed as quickly as possible so that we can avoid being shut out of too many meets. The coaches will be choosing events for everyone for each meet according to their stated availability. Entry files will then be sent to the meet hosts. Because of this quick timeline, we will not be able to accept changes – for this reason be sure to include comments in your portal when indicating availability if you have event preferences (events you want and/or don’t want to swim/limit per day, etc.).
Our planned team meets for long course 2019 are listed below. As meet information for other meets becomes available online and host entry opening dates approach, additional meets will be put into the portal and deadlines for those meets will be communicated. Note that sometimes information for meets occurring later becomes available before information for meets occurring sooner and/or later meets have earlier deadlines.
Also, be aware that our coaches worked hard and considered many options to come up with the best plan for our team to get into meets for this season. They considered many factors including prior experience with particular meets and entry open dates.
May 31-June 2 Lancaster YMCA Lightning Long Course Meet @ Franklin & Marshall College
June 21-23 NLAC Swimfest @ Penn State University
July 5-7 Parkland Aquatic Club A/BB/C meet at Mack Pool, Allentown
July 10-13 Senior Champs* @ Bucknell University
July 18-21 Junior Olympics* @ Franklin & Marshall College
July 26-28 - Silver Champs* @ Keystone Aquatic Center, Carlise
Aug 6-10 Junior Nationals*@Stanford University
*Indicates a meet with time standards. Swimmers must qualify for this meet.
(See maswim.org meets tab, 2018-2019 Meets for further details.)
Note that swimmers are welcome to attend meets on their own that the team is not attending. In that case, swimmers should use TM Lite to complete their entries on their own and should notify the CBST coaches after the meet so times can be updated in the CBST database. CBST staff cannot enter swimmers into meets which we are not attending as a team (including meets which we have been shut out of as a team) as it creates much confusion for meet hosts.
Please note that many times we will have very short timelines to enter availability so please keep on top of your emails, checking multiple times each day, and visit your portal often to be sure you don’t miss any important information about long course meet entries during the end of short course season and over the break before long course begins.
Note also that any hotel block information for long course meets will be communicated once we are accepted into the meet and when arrangements have been made.
Thanks so much for your help with this process. Please keep this email for future reference when other meets become available in your portal. Also, please see the attached explanatory information about the long course meet entry process.
CBST LC Meet Entry Process Explanation
Because of the small number of long course pools there are relatively few meets for a lot of teams. Our experience is that this leads to a frenzy when long course meet information is released. Our coaches are experienced with the meet entry process and have devised a system and timeline to maximize our chances of getting into the meets they’ve chosen. We can't know ahead of time which meets we'll be shut out of. The entry window for most long course meets begins at midnight and the meets are filled almost immediately, with coaches from many teams (including ours) waiting up to hit send at the stroke of midnight. This results in somewhat of a lottery system as meet hosts get entry files basically simultaneously over filling their meets.
To give us the best chance of getting into meets, the administrative staff makes sure the coaches have an accurate schedule of the entry opening dates and confirm with them the day of each to be sure they'll be ready to submit. The coaches stay up and submit the entries right at the moment of the deadline. They also try to use relationships they have with the meet directors to get assurances of entry acceptance but meet directors need to be fair to everyone and generally just put entries in in the order they're received and we can't control how the email servers order the mass of emails that are submitted at the same moment so we're not always first. Meet directors will not accept entries that come in prior to midnight. Further, the size of our team means that we take up a lot of space in a meet so some smaller teams may get in with a later entry submission but once the host puts in their entries, there may not be room for CBST's entries even if we're first to submit. Because of this whole process, some teams in Mid-Atlantic have experienced long course seasons during which they did not get into any meets.
Meet hosts some years decide to have their meets open very early (Feb 1st for some meets), further accelerating our meet entry timelines. All parties involved (meet hosts, entering teams, Mid-Atlantic administrative staff) are working to make this process as fair and painless as possible. The unfortunate reality is that there are limited meets and many swimmers so it is difficult to make it a completely smooth process. Surely, all CBST swim families will need to pay careful attention to all communications and deadlines and exercise patience throughout this process and we thank you in advance for doing that.