Calendar notes and deadlines:
- No age group practice on Thursday, November 8th (team outing to Flyers game)
- Swimmers in the senior Flash practice group please stop in to register at Cornerstone by November 15th.
- As of Friday, November 16, practice times will change due to the beginning of the high school swim season. Please check the calendar for your swimmer’s practice time each day.
- Please note, there will be a modified practice schedule during Thanksgiving week and over Winter Break. Make sure to pay attention to the team website calendar each day - there are sometimes changes to originally posted times due to changes in building availability and/or high school team usage. Make sure to pay attention to the team website calendar over the upcoming weeks as the times will vary.
Our coaches will hold a “Swimming 101” parent meeting on November 12th at 5:45 p.m. in the classroom near the pool. All parents are encouraged to attend.
NCAP Hotel Information:
The NCAP meet host has provided a few hotel room blocks for those attending their meet. Please note it appears that the only hotel on the preferred list providing shuttle service to the pool is The Marriott Inn & Conference Center. We have been informed by the meet host that parking will not be available on campus at The University of Maryland for swim meet participants on Friday, however, onsite parking will be available on Saturday and Sunday. Please see the attached document for the Group Name to reference at the time of booking.
Our coaches have chosen to stay at one of the preferred NCAP hotels listed below.
The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, UMD
3501 University Boulevard E
Hyattsville, MD 20783
If you have any questions regarding the above hotel information, please contact Heather Yim at firstname.lastname@example.org
Scratching From Meets:
If your swimmer’s plans change and s/he is unable to attend a meet that s/he is entered in, please email Heather Yim at email@example.com and Coach Stu at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Barring an emergency, swimmers will not be scratched from events the day of the meet (if a swimmer wishes to scratch they must do so prior to the day of the meet). Unfortunately, sometimes emergency situations do arise in which a swimmer has to scratch the meet on the day-of. In such cases, please make sure you email both Heather Yim and Coach Stu to ensure that the coaching staff attending the meet is notified. It is difficult for both the meet director and our coaches to manage when they are unaware that a registered swimmer will not be in attendance.
November bills were emailed yesterday. If you did not receive your bill please check your junk/spam/settings and email me if you’re unable to locate it. Recall that everyone receives a bill every month even if nothing is due. Payments are due by November 25th.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
Please review CBST policies and procedures with your swimmers often. (Please note that the inclusion of this reminder periodically in our team communications is not an indication that an issue has arisen - we simply provide periodic reminders to prevent issues from occurring.)
- The doors close to the pool at CB South will generally be open and may be used to enter/exit the building. If they are not open, please enter through the main Gymnasium doors. No doors should be propped open at any time.
- Please enter the pool hallway off Anderson Road to access the CB East pool at all times. Do not use the front doors.
- Please do not park your car (whether you’re in it or not) anywhere other than designated parking spaces. This is particularly an issue at CB South at the diving well door where people sometimes park along the curb behind the parked cars – please avoid fender benders by NOT parking in that area.
- Swimmers should enter the pool deck upon their arrival (no sooner than 10 minutes prior to the start of practice) and wait on the benches for a coach to start practice. They will be sent directly to the locker rooms after practice. Parents should always walk their swimmers into the building.
- Parents/siblings should go straight to the balcony. Please do not go on deck to speak with the coaches. If you have a question for the coaching staff, please email the head coach for your child (senior or age group). (Emails available on team website.) If you have any concerns please email me immediately.
- Please use your discretion and consider the health and safety of your swimmer and others when deciding whether to send you swimmer to practice if s/he is experiencing any medical condition or other situation in which it might be best not to practice. CBST coaches will use their best judgement and if they feel there is a health concern/safety hazard they will restrict swimmers from entering the pool to safeguard themselves and/or the other members of the team.
- The use of cell phones and other mobile devices with recording capabilities, including voice recording, still cameras and video cameras is prohibited in locker rooms, changing areas, rest rooms or other changing areas. If your swimmer(s) uses his/her cell phone in the locker room for ANY reason (making phone calls, taking pictures, etc.) he/she risks being removed from the team. (Parents please periodically monitor you child’s social media to ensure compliance with this policy.) Also remind your children to always use social media responsibly – taking care to be kind to everyone and remembering that those other than their currently intended audience may eventually see posts.
- Parents are not allowed in the locker rooms for any reason. High school students may be using the locker rooms related to high school activities. It is important that adults (including parents) not be in the locker room for the safety of all swim program participants and other student athletes. Coaches will be sweeping the locker rooms before, in between, and after practices. Nothing should be left in the locker rooms. Athletes should place all belongings into their bags, zip the bag fully shut, and bring it out onto deck and leave it there for the duration of practice. Please speak with your swimmers/divers about appropriate locker room behavior:
- No horseplay or physical contact should occur.
- Lockers are not to be used at any time as they lock and you will not be able to retrieve any items placed into them.
- Speak at a reasonable volume and speak respectfully to everyone.
- Do not touch anyone else or anyone else’s possessions.
- Move with care (remember swimmers and the floor are wet).
- Locker room time should be short (10-15 minutes at the most) - kids may need to be reminded often to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Get a coach if anything inappropriate is occurring, even if they are not involved – tell them they should help stop issues before they escalate, rather than waiting for problems to happen and seeing our friends unhappy based on the consequences.
- Remind your participants often of these behavior expectations which are required at all times – on the deck and in the locker rooms.
- If you prefer that your child not use the locker rooms with the other swimmers please have him/her dry off completely and meet you in the hallway outside of the pool before escorting him/her to the appropriate bathrooms located down the hall from the pool in each building.
- Parents should not coach their children from the balcony (or otherwise). We are in one of the few youth sports that provides professional coaching – please trust that the coaches are competent and leave the coaching to them. If your child looks to you for approval/attention/anything during practices, it is likely to cause them to miss important instructional information and/or disrupt the practice for themselves, other participants, and coaches. If this is an issue for your swimmer please do not remain in the balcony during practices.
- Videotaping of practices is prohibited.
- Please make sure your swimmers are dry and have shoes on when in the hallways of the schools. Please remember that behavior should mimic typical school day behavior. No running, climbing on tables, etc. Playing with balls in the building is prohibited. Siblings of team members must stay with their parents at all times and should not enter the locker rooms. No children should be running or roaming the halls at any time. Swimmers and their families are to be in the pool area (balcony or pool hallways) and should only go to the cafeteria area to use the restrooms or vending machines. Swimmers and their families are not to be in the gymnasiums at any time.
- Please review detailed and additional policies available at this link: http://cbsd.schoolwires.net//site/Default.aspx?PageID=2474