Updates and reminders are below.
Save the date for the CBST-USAS pasta party which will be Wednesday, February 27th in the CB South cafeteria. The coaches are planning to hold a practice first followed by the party - please keep an eye out for timing details. Please also watch for emails with other details (including what to bring). This is a pasta party to celebrate the accomplishments of all swimmers during this season and occurs just prior to the championship meets to provide a great send-off for swimmers attending those meets.
Thank you so much to everyone who helped at our meet last weekend. So many of you went above and beyond (helping at extra sessions, staying late, coming early, covering multiple jobs, being flexible regarding assignments) and it is truly appreciated.
Long course participants please keep your eye on email for a message regarding long course meet entries.
The Silver Champs meet host is doing a presale of Silver Champs gear. See link below. The store closes on March 4.
UDAC Closed Invite Meet Updates & Reminders:
CHANGE IN SATURDAY AFTERNOON SESSION TIME: Warm-up 1:30pm/2:30pm start.
The following sessions are Positive Check-In per the meet sheet: Saturday and Sunday AM sessions-swimmers should check-in with CBST coaches (positive check-in closes at 8:15am), 500 Free and 400IM.
The 500 Free is limited to 10 heats (5 girls/5 boys) per the meet information. At this time there are more than that many swimmers registered for the 500 free. After positive check-in for the morning session and the 500 free session check-in if all swimmers cannot be accommodated in that session then swimmers will be on placed on standby and will have the option to swim on Sunday after the 400 IM. Positive check-in for the 500 free closes at 11am on Saturday. The 500 free session will begin 10 minutes after the end of the morning session, no earlier than 12 noon.
500 Free and 400 IM Timers: If your swimmer is participating in the 500 Free and/or the 400 IM a parent needs to time for their swimmer for that event. UDAC will provide watches. Please report to the pool deck at the start of the distance session.
Officials Sign-up: If you are an official the signup for the meet is below. If you can help out, UDAC would appreciate it. Thank you. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0c4bacac2fa0fa7-udac2
Additional Information regarding volunteer assignments and warm-up times will be communicated early next week once we receive the information from UDAC.
Individuals not swimming in a meet (including parents and other family members of swimmers) may not be on deck during a meet (home or away) except when working as an on-deck volunteer at their assigned time. When on deck working, officials and other volunteers should be in the spot where they need to be to do their job (which is never the CBST team area).
If your swimmer’s plans change and s/he is unable to attend a meet that s/he is entered in, please email Heather Yim at email@example.com and Coach Stu at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Barring an emergency, swimmers will not be scratched from events the day of the meet (if a swimmer wishes to scratch they must do so prior to the day of the meet). Unfortunately, sometimes emergency situations do arise in which a swimmer has to scratch the meet on the day-of. In such cases, please make sure you email both Heather Yim and Coach Stu to ensure that the coaching staff attending the meet is notified. It is difficult for both the meet director and our coaches to manage when they are unaware that a registered swimmer will not be in attendance.
Below is information regarding Eastern Zones. While not many CBST swimmers typically choose to attend this meet, we wanted to make sure everyone is aware of it. Note that most of the qualifying times for this meet are faster than Junior Olympics qualifying times. Please note the following additional information about this meet which will be held in Webster, New York on April 3-6:
- Meet details are available through this link: http://www.easternzoneswimming.org/meets.html
- Given that the meet is fills up quickly, if your swimmer qualifies and would like to attend you must email Coach Stu and Heather Yim no later than this Monday, 2/18 at NOON email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your swimmer qualifies for the meet after this Monday’s deadline and would like to attend email Stu and Heather immediately after qualifying and they will attempt to enter your swimmer, however, it is unlikely to be possible.
- If your swimmer who is registered for the meet achieves additional qualifying times after this Monday email Stu and Heather immediately and they will likely be able to add the additional event(s) for your swimmer.
- Please note that Mid-Atlantic will not be sending dedicated MA coaches for our swimmers. At this point CBST is not planning to send a coach. If anything changes in that regard swimmers attending the meet will be notified.
- CBST will NOT be arranging a hotel block for this meet. Hotel information may be found at this link: http://www.easternzoneswimming.org/meets.html. Be sure to choose the correct information by scrolling to the section for 2019 EASTERN ZONE SHORT COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS.
Senior Champs Hotel Information:
Reservations for the Senior Champs room block can be made by calling the hotel directly. Please use the group name when making your reservation.
Room Block is available until 2/26/2019
Home 2 Suites by Hilton - Lancaster, PA
1584 Fruitville Pike, Lancaster, PA 17062
$129/night-King room suite with sofa bed
Group Name: Central Bucks Swim Team
If you have any questions contact Heather Yim at email@example.com. There are other hotel options available to families that are listed on both the Junior Olympics and Senior Champs meet sheets.
See 1/11/2019 and 1/22/2019 emails if you need to refer to other championship meet information previously circulated.
- At this time of season it’s always a good idea to help your swimmer clean-out his/her swim bag to be sure they have not picked-up anything inadvertently that does not belong to them. If anything turns up that is not yours, please place it in the lost and found bin in the equipment room at CB South.
- Remember to check the calendar for practice details and note the following special circumstances:
- Friday, 2/15 – Age Group practice will be at CB East due to High School champs being hosted at CB South – see calendar for times.
- Monday, 2/18 –note day-time holiday practice schedule on calendar.
- With the winding down of high school season practice times may vary. We often don’t know each high school team’s plan until the last minute. Please see calendar for your group’s times daily.
In the event of inclement weather, please check either the Home Page of the CBSD website or the Calendar Page on the CBST-USAS website to get the latest update on practice changes or cancellations. We will try to send emails and Twitter notifications but are not always in a position to do that and website changes will be made sooner than any email could go out. If CBSD is closed due to inclement weather we do not have practice. Please continue to use the foregoing methods to find out about cancellations and also opt-in to our new Rained Out account by texting CBST19 to 84483.
COMMUNICATION AND BILLING:
In order to help our swimmers and their parents navigate the transition from age group swimming to swimming in our senior group and also the transition to high school team swimming, we have prepared the attached document. All families with a swimmer currently in 8th grade should read this document now. Keep in mind that swimmers progress to the senior practice group within CBST in the same manner in which advancement occurs within age group. Thus, swimmers do not automatically advance to the senior practice group upon becoming a 9th grader, but rather, will advance to the senior group when they are ready as determined by the coaches. Please see the attached document for more information. Additionally, swimmers who will be entering 9th grade next fall and do not have access to or will otherwise not be participating with a high school team should set-up a family meeting during the spring with Coach Stu so that he can offer guidance regarding options and expectations with regard to your child’s continued swimming.
February Bills: were emailed on 2/7 please check junk/spam and email me now if you didn’t receive your bill. Payments are due February 25th.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
Please review CBST policies and procedures with your swimmers often. (Please note that the inclusion of this reminder periodically in our team communications is not an indication that an issue has arisen - we simply provide periodic reminders to prevent issues from occurring.)
- The doors close to the pool at CB South will generally be open and may be used to enter/exit the building. If they are not open, please enter through the main Gymnasium doors. No doors should be propped open at any time.
- Please enter the pool hallway off Anderson Road to access the CB East pool at all times. Do not use the front doors.
- Please do not park your car (whether you’re in it or not) anywhere other than designated parking spaces. This is particularly an issue at CB South at the diving well door where people sometimes park along the curb behind the parked cars – please avoid fender benders by NOT parking in that area.
- Swimmers should enter the pool deck upon their arrival (no sooner than 10 minutes prior to the start of practice) and wait on the benches for a coach to start practice. They will be sent directly to the locker rooms after practice. Parents should always walk their swimmers into the building.
- Parents/siblings should go straight to the balcony. Please do not go on deck to speak with the coaches. If you have a question for the coaching staff, please email the head coach for your child (senior or age group). (Emails available on team website.) If you have any concerns please email me immediately.
- Please use your discretion and consider the health and safety of your swimmer and others when deciding whether to send you swimmer to practice if s/he is experiencing any medical condition or other situation in which it might be best not to practice. CBST coaches will use their best judgement and if they feel there is a health concern/safety hazard they will restrict swimmers from entering the pool to safeguard themselves and/or the other members of the team.
- The use of cell phones and other mobile devices with recording capabilities, including voice recording, still cameras and video cameras is prohibited in locker rooms, changing areas, rest rooms or other changing areas. If your swimmer(s) uses his/her cell phone in the locker room for ANY reason (making phone calls, taking pictures, etc.) he/she risks being removed from the team. (Parents please periodically monitor you child’s social media to ensure compliance with this policy.) Also remind your children to always use social media responsibly – taking care to be kind to everyone and remembering that those other than their currently intended audience may eventually see posts.
- Parents are not allowed in the locker rooms for any reason. High school students may be using the locker rooms related to high school activities. It is important that adults (including parents) not be in the locker room for the safety of all swim program participants and other student athletes. Coaches will be sweeping the locker rooms before, in between, and after practices. Nothing should be left in the locker rooms. Athletes should place all belongings into their bags, zip the bag fully shut, and bring it out onto deck and leave it there for the duration of practice. Please speak with your swimmers/divers about appropriate locker room behavior:
- No horseplay or physical contact should occur.
- Lockers are not to be used at any time as they lock and you will not be able to retrieve any items placed into them.
- Speak at a reasonable volume and speak respectfully to everyone.
- Do not touch anyone else or anyone else’s possessions.
- Move with care (remember swimmers and the floor are wet).
- Locker room time should be short (10-15 minutes at the most) - kids may need to be reminded often to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Get a coach if anything inappropriate is occurring, even if they are not involved – tell them they should help stop issues before they escalate, rather than waiting for problems to happen and seeing our friends unhappy based on the consequences.
- Remind your participants often of these behavior expectations which are required at all times – on the deck and in the locker rooms.
- If you prefer that your child not use the locker rooms with the other swimmers please have him/her dry off completely and meet you in the hallway outside of the pool before escorting him/her to the appropriate bathrooms located down the hall from the pool in each building.
- Parents should not coach their children from the balcony (or otherwise). We are in one of the few youth sports that provides professional coaching – please trust that the coaches are competent and leave the coaching to them. If your child looks to you for approval/attention/anything during practices, it is likely to cause them to miss important instructional information and/or disrupt the practice for themselves, other participants, and coaches. If this is an issue for your swimmer please do not remain in the balcony during practices.
- Videotaping of practices is prohibited.
- Please make sure your swimmers are dry and have shoes on when in the hallways of the schools. Please remember that behavior should mimic typical school day behavior. No running, climbing on tables, etc. Playing with balls in the building is prohibited. Siblings of team members must stay with their parents at all times and should not enter the locker rooms. No children should be running or roaming the halls at any time. Swimmers and their families are to be in the pool area (balcony or pool hallways) and should only go to the cafeteria area to use the restrooms or vending machines. Swimmers and their families are not to be in the gymnasiums at any time.
- Please review detailed and additional policies available at this link: http://cbsd.schoolwires.net//site/Default.aspx?PageID=2474
Have a wonderful day