A few notes as we prepare to begin the 2018-2019 season:
Practices for all groups begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2018.
Practice times for the month of September for each group are currently posted on the calendar on the team website www.cbswimteam.org. Note that swimmers are either in the senior group or age group (includes intermediate, junior, advanced, and next generation groups). On the website calendar Age Group is designated “AG” and when checking the time for your specific group within age group you should click on “AG practice” for the specific date to view the details (time and location). All September practices are at CB South – after that please be sure to check location for each day’s practice.
It is very important to continually check the calendar on the website www.cbwimteam.org for practice details and changes. There are occasional calendar changes that will be made last minute due to sudden building conflicts. Throughout the season there will be conflicts that will cause practices to be cancelled or altered. As these dates become known they are posted on the team calendar. We will often also include upcoming conflicts in team emails but please do not rely on emails for this information – the calendar is the best source.
It is very important that swimmers swim with their assigned group at their scheduled times and arrive on time to practice. During the first weeks of practice, coaches will be assessing swimmers individually and groups as a whole to ensure proper group placement.
Swimmers should bring a water bottle and their equipment to all practices. The equipment list by group may be found on the General Team Information section of the website (access through CBST resources tab). More information about a possible equipment exchange will be forthcoming. If you would be interested in participating in an equipment exchange and have not yet let me know please do so today. Swimmers should have all required equipment at practices no later than September 20th.
All swimmers should complete the attached goals sheet and return to the coaches at practice ASAP. (Goals sheets are also available on the General Team Information section of the website accessible through the CBST resources tab.)
Information about the fall apparel and team suit sales and ordering personalized caps will be provided shortly.
COMMUNICATIONS / MEETINGS AND BILLING:
Weekly emails will be sent throughout the season to update our families. Generally those emails will be sent in the middle to the end of the week and will be posted on our website to the “Team Notes” section. Note that this message is being sent to all email addresses provided during the portal registration process. If you would like to add/change/delete an address from this distribution list please reply to this message.
Bills are emailed once per month and can only go to one email address. If you are a returning family, your bill will continue to be sent to the address at which you’ve received it in the past. New families, your bill will be sent to the address you are using for your team portal log-in ID. If you want to change that please email me. Note that billing information is not available through the portal. September bills will be sent next week. All registration fees and prior year payments received will be applied. August and September dues fees will be charged as well as annual out-of-district charges and escrow account funding (where applicable). USA Swimming 2019 registration fees and any transfer fees will be billed as well. Note that payment of monthly bills is due no later than the 25th of the month during which you receive the bill. LATE FEES will apply when monthly bills are paid after the due date. Billing guidance will be circulated separately when bills go out. If you have questions about your bill or do not receive it next week please refer to the billing guidance for questions and check your junk/spam for the bill. Email me if you need further help.
If you are a returning official or are interested in becoming an official please contact Julie Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15th.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
Please review CBST policies and procedures with your swimmers often. (Please note that the inclusion of this reminder periodically in our team communications is not an indication that an issue has arisen - we simply provide periodic reminders to prevent issues from occurring.)
- The doors close to the pool at CB South will generally be open and may be used to enter/exit the building. If they are not open, please enter through the main Gymnasium doors. No doors should be propped open at any time.
- Please enter the pool hallway off Anderson Road to access the CB East pool at all times. Do not use the front doors.
- Please do not park your car (whether you’re in it or not) anywhere other than designated parking spaces. This is particularly an issue at CB South at the diving well door where people sometimes park along the curb behind the parked cars – please avoid fender benders by NOT parking in that area.
- Swimmers should enter the pool deck upon their arrival (no sooner than 10 minutes prior to the start of practice) and wait on the benches for a coach to start practice. They will be sent directly to the locker rooms after practice. Parents should always walk their swimmers into the building.
- Parents/siblings should go straight to the balcony. Please do not go on deck to speak with the coaches. If you have a question for the coaching staff, please email the head coach for your child (senior or age group). (Emails available on team website.) If you have any concerns please email me immediately.
- Please use your discretion and consider the health and safety of your swimmer and others when deciding whether to send you swimmer to practice if s/he is experiencing any medical condition or other situation in which it might be best not to practice. CBST coaches will use their best judgement and if they feel there is a health concern/safety hazard they will restrict swimmers from entering the pool to safeguard themselves and/or the other members of the team.
- The use of cell phones and other mobile devices with recording capabilities, including voice recording, still cameras and video cameras is prohibited in locker rooms, changing areas, rest rooms or other changing areas. If your swimmer(s) uses his/her cell phone in the locker room for ANY reason (making phone calls, taking pictures, etc.) he/she risks being removed from the team. (Parents please periodically monitor you child’s social media to ensure compliance with this policy.) Also remind your children to always use social media responsibly – taking care to be kind to everyone and remembering that those other than their currently intended audience may eventually see posts.
- Parents are not allowed in the locker rooms for any reason. High school students may be using the locker rooms related to high school activities. It is important that adults (including parents) not be in the locker room for the safety of all swim program participants and other student athletes. Coaches will be sweeping the locker rooms before, in between, and after practices. Nothing should be left in the locker rooms. Athletes should place all belongings into their bags, zip the bag fully shut, and bring it out onto deck and leave it there for the duration of practice. Please speak with your swimmers/divers about appropriate locker room behavior:
- No horseplay or physical contact should occur.
- Lockers are not to be used at any time as they lock and you will not be able to retrieve any items placed into them.
- Speak at a reasonable volume and speak respectfully to everyone.
- Do not touch anyone else or anyone else’s possessions.
- Move with care (remember swimmers and the floor are wet).
- Locker room time should be short (10-15 minutes at the most) - kids may need to be reminded often to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Get a coach if anything inappropriate is occurring, even if they are not involved – tell them they should help stop issues before they escalate, rather than waiting for problems to happen and seeing our friends unhappy based on the consequences.
- Remind your participants often of these behavior expectations which are required at all times – on the deck and in the locker rooms.
- If you prefer that your child not use the locker rooms with the other swimmers please have him/her dry off completely and meet you in the hallway outside of the pool before escorting him/her to the appropriate bathrooms located down the hall from the pool in each building.
- Parents should not coach their children from the balcony (or otherwise). We are in one of the few youth sports that provides professional coaching – please trust that the coaches are competent and leave the coaching to them. If your child looks to you for approval/attention/anything during practices, it is likely to cause them to miss important instructional information and/or disrupt the practice for themselves, other participants, and coaches. If this is an issue for your swimmer please do not remain in the balcony during practices.
- Videotaping of practices is prohibited.
- Please make sure your swimmers are dry and have shoes on when in the hallways of the schools. Please remember that behavior should mimic typical school day behavior. No running, climbing on tables, etc. Playing with balls in the building is prohibited. Siblings of team members must stay with their parents at all times and should not enter the locker rooms. No children should be running or roaming the halls at any time. Swimmers and their families are to be in the pool area (balcony or pool hallways) and should only go to the cafeteria area to use the restrooms or vending machines. Swimmers and their families are not to be in the gymnasiums at any time.
- Please review detailed and additional policies available at this link: http://cbsd.schoolwires.net//site/Default.aspx?PageID=2474
Thanks so much and have a good weekend - we're all looking forward to a great season!